March 29, 2005

My Fire Scare

On friday evening there was a huge thunderstorm in Austin..I was nicely relaxing at home when suddenly the fire alarm in the apartment complex goes off...It was the loudest thing I have ever heard..sure to make you deaf if you stay inside for more than 10mins..
I really didnt know what to do...I was running around in the house searching for a fire..luckily found none...then I saw that my neighbour was running down in the open...so I just locked my apt. and grabbed an umbrella and went out in the thunderstorm...there we were standing in the rain..gettin drenched..helpless and didnt know what to do...
one guy called '911' and the reply was 'please get back to us only if you see some fire or smoke'...wow...this was the limit..aren't these guys supposed to come to our rescue...

Standing in the rain I was reminded of 'Friends' and the episode where phoebe disconnects the fire alarm..i think it was titled "The one where they are up all night"

finally we got a maintenance guy who reset the shrieking alarm..apparently a lightning bolt had hit the copper conductors on the top of the building..which set off the alarm...

well this was definitely a unique experience...