July 30, 2005

My Mumbai

Sitting here in Austin..helpless...the only thing I can think of is of Mumbai..the city, the people, my friends and relatives and obviously the water!!

Luckily my parents are in Austin too..and were spared from the brunt of the rain gods..but like me..they too are worried on how things are going...

When i was in primary school..we had a downpour(somewhat similar to this) and getting home on that day had taken me 5 hours which normally takes 20 mins by rickshaw...but wat happened on tuesday..3ft of rain fall...is simply unimaginable!!!

I must say I am very proud of all Mumbaikars..who always stand togehter in times of need...have been reading so many stories and emails from friends on how they managed to reach home and how people helped them..hats off to all of them!!!

But I do hope that the BMC will learn from this incident and plan better storm water drainage system..after all a city which pays 40% of the country's tax revenues definitely requires more attenttion and better infrastrucute

I am truly proud to be a Mumbaikar